Business Assurance at ASOS
Like any company our size, ASOS has a risk management and monitoring process that applies to every part of the Group, which enables us to establish what our key risks are and how to prepare for and manage them appropriately. Risk management is critical to the achievement of our strategic objectives; to the future growth of our business; and to ensuring that we operate effectively and sustainably for the long-term benefit of all shareholders.
To do that effectively, the department needs to understand both ASOS’ business risks, and how to really engage and influence ASOSers, at the same time as being flexible, adaptable and agile.
That’s exciting – but with that comes a lot of responsibility! And so this Health & Safety role is a critical one for our business.
What you'll be doing...
To be successful in this role, your approach will be two-pronged:
- Down The Line, By The Line: Getting all key departments whose activities bring a risk of harm, and all ASOSers, pro-actively engaged with appropriately managing health & safety risks – that’s what brings about real progress, on a scalable basis
- Underpinning behind the scenes: putting in place and operating the structures, systems and processes (e.g. risk assessments, written statements) behind the scenes to; identify what health & safety topics key departments need to engage on; reduce risks of harm without needing to involve ASOSers (e.g. more effective fire alarm systems); ensure our legal obligations around health & safety are met, all while preserving as far as possible the culture and the pace with which the business moves.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Implement, manage and review the business' Health and Safety Plan, in line with the overall Business Assurance Strategy
- To provide guidance and practical expertise on all Health & Safety matters, to promote a positive and engaged risk culture across our key sites
- To work in collaboration with the Business Assurance team in identifying key Health and Safety risks, while working across the business to ensure that effective mitigation is put into place, without restricting our ASOSers core activities
- Providing oversight and assurance that the appropriate Health and Safety mechanisms are in place at our Fulfilment Centres
- Ensure that Health and Safety implications are included as part of our wider business continuity / emergency response planning
- To lead or support campaigns and initiatives across the business that have a health and safety impact to ensure risks are fully considered and mitigated
- To develop training and awareness which enables a proactive level of risk awareness, while ensuring it’s maintained across our key departments
- To evolve our fire risk & first aid strategy, so that it remains simple and fit for purpose
- To ensure there are no gaps in our approach to health and safety in line with legislation
- To compile and maintain analysis and reporting, and review against established metrics and standards
- To support the Quality, Health, Safety and Environmental aspects of new business growth through solutions development and to support mobilisation and resourcing activities on new contracts and projects
- To adapt, revise and further embed existing policies, structures and risk assessments to promote safe systems of work without stifling our culture
- Line management and development of Health & Safety Coordinator
We'd love to meet someone with...
- Proven experience in QHSE strategy development and implementation
- Knowledge of monitoring and reviewing management system performance
- Development and implementation of policy and process that’s tailored to, and therefore highly effective within, the particular culture of their organisation
- Environmental risk and ‘resource’ evaluation and management
- Ability to positively articulate health and safety strategy through suitable presentation tools in a way that engages colleagues
- Knowledge of accident/hazard investigation to drive improvements
- Development and delivery of relevant health and safety training
- Strong communication skills with the ability to influence decisions at all levels
- The ability to provide expertise and achieve objectives diplomatically
- The ability to combine a strategic outlook with a hands-on attitude
- Self-motivated with strong management skills
- The ability to manage simultaneous projects and deliver the core role effectively in a fast-paced environment
- A coaching and motivating management style that sets examples in work standards, speed and quality of delivery
- An innovative approach to health and safety to ensure it continually engages our ASOSers and evolves over time
- A qualification in Health and Safety management and Environmental management (E.g. NEBOSH)
- Practical application of auditing and membership of the IIRSM or IOSH
- Ability to demonstrate continuous personal development